The nomination period for the Nebula awards closed a couple of days ago, and in the lead-up to that deadline many people said awfully nice things about my story.
- Morgan Dhu reviewed it at length on her book blog, concluding that it’s, “A profoundly thoughtful, elegantly written work.”
- John Chu included it in his “Stuff I want people to read” blog post.
- Rachel Swirsky recommended it for Nebula consideration, saying it’s, “the best riff on ‘disappearing male’ stories I’ve ever seen, a smart story that accomplishes both literary and speculative goals in a sharp, well-characterized, traditionally ‘what if?’ SF way.”
- Joseph Tomaras put it at the top of his list of tentative Nebula nominations.
- Carmen Machado tweeted that it deserved a place on the ballot.
- Aliette de Bodard helped spread the word on Twitter also.
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to read “The New Mother,” and for sharing your appreciation. I’m really touched to see that it’s connecting with so many people.